Thursday, September 6, 2012

Feed The Poor

Who should we talk about today? JESUS!

I know something neat about Jesus. When He taught people, he told stories. His stories are special. They are called parables. A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning. I'll show you what I mean. Here is one of Jesus' parables in Luke, chapter 14.

Jesus was at a big party, a feast, and lots of people were there.

12 Then Jesus said to the man who had invited him, “When you give a lunch or a dinner, don’t invite only your friends, your family, your other relatives, and your rich neighbors. At another time they will invite you to eat with them, and you will be repaid. 13 Instead, when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. 14 Then you will be blessed

The people had never heard anything so strange! They thought to themselves, "Jesus said I should NOT invite my family and friends when I give a party! Could He really mean that?" Nooooo, Jesus had a heavenly meaning.

Then they thought, "Jesus said I should invite poor people instead! I don't even know any poor people! Do I have to go find some poor people and invite them to my party? Is that what Jesus means?" Nooooo, Jesus had a heavenly meaning.

Now I will tell you His heavenly meaning. Are you ready?

Feed the poor. We all have enough food to share. We all have enough food to give parties. We all have ... so ... much! Poor people have ... nothing. Their children are hungry. Their cupboards are bare. Feed the poor.

Every week, take something to the food pantry, a box of cereal, a can of soup, something. If you gave just one thing every week, Anna, and if I did ... and if you did, Jeremy ... and if each person in church did ... soon the food pantry would have plenty of food to give. And when poor people come to the food pantry to ask for food, there would be ... so ... much! And they would know someone cares for them. And God will be so pleased; and He will know you care for the poor people, just like He does.

Time to pray.

Wonderful God,
We have so ... much ... food in our kitchens, plenty to share, and we thank you. Please help us to remember every week to feed the poor, just like Jesus taught.
In His name we pray, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment